Alibris dating social customs
Appendix immigrant and passenger vessels up to 1884. Includes photographs of early Timaru and the sailing vessels: Williamson, Eulla Farmers in Business. One Hundred Years of Trading By the Canterbury Farmers Co-Operative Assoc. The escapades of the notorious Mackenzie are recounted by the man who captured him, and the same raconteur, Mr E. Seager, describes the meeting of Bishops Selwyn and Harper on board the Egmont. Contents: 1/ Timaru's Theatre Royal 2/ Timaru's Landing Services pre Harbour Construction 3/ Building the Timaru Harbour 4/ Timaru's Victorian and Edwardian Buildings 5/ South Canterbury's Rock Art Heritage 6/ Maori Chief of Waimate 7/ Stained Glass Windows within the Geraldine Anglican Parish 8/ Stock and Station Buildings in Mid and South Canterbury 9/ South Canterbury: Stone Arch Bridges 10/ St David's Pioneer Memorial Church, Cave 11/ The Houses of Mount Nessing and Opawa Stations 12/ South Canterbury's Raincliff Pioneer Park 13/ Alma Cottage, Burkes Pass 14/ Changes that Hydro Construction had on Lakes Tekapo and Pukaki 15/ Station Huts of the Godley Valley, Mackenzie Country 16/ Historic Ashburton Station 17/ Longbeach Station: Unusual Sod Cottage 18/ The 'Deserted Village' of Barrhill 19/ Huia Lodge The Pioneer is the name of a bright, monthly magazine published in Timaru by Messrs Lewis and Thomson, whose object; is primarily the supplying of an advertising medium whose circulation is absolutely guaranteed at 10,000. Mrs Williamson also loved to read, play bridge, and renovate her homes and garden. Includes biographies of the past presidents with a photo of each. Glen Innes and Rosemary Moran have compiled a book with photographs of the participants taken at the time, some photos of their earlier lives, brief biographies and anecdotes from the interviews that encapsulate aspects of how Fairlie was in days gone by. Old photos of stations of the Mackenzie Country, people, early Timaru, pupils of Adair School, 1892 etc. The train travelled down the loop and crashed into the Samson post at the backshunt at the High St crossing. Invercargill : Southland Historical Committee, 1956 NZ Collection. Timaru Herald August 11 2009 Keith Bartholomew has nearly finished revising the 1975 publication The Streets of Timaru, by JB Hamilton a reference book outlining how Timaru's streets were named. Social aspects Electricity Corporation of New Zealand. from Cumberland in 1851 with his two brothers, John, who had just left Oxford University, and Paul, not yet twenty. It confirms an opinion I have long held that New Zealanders are interested in the story of their own land." PART 1: The Land Before the White Man came Shepherds Shearers Wagoners Roadmakers Swaggers Explorers Community Centres Snowstorms Erosion Writers & Artists Memorials Flora Geology Part 2: Run history: Lake Ohau stations: Appendix: (Diary extracts, Mt Cook Rd Board, Mackenzie County Council, They helped to Pave the Way: climbers, surveyors, bullock drivers, coach drivers, mailmen, horse wagoners, shearers. In 2005, when the book was published, some of their nearly 3000 descendants still lived in South Canterbury, though many more have spread throughout NZ and the world. The fifteen chapters contain information on the Raes, the Irvines, Simon Rae and Mary Irvine, and each of their children and their families - Robert Rae and Mary Ann Goodwin, William Rae, James Rae and Eliza Griffin, Rachel Rae and Samuel Goodwin, John Rae, Thomas Rae, Adam Rae and Bridget Heney, Jessie Jane Rae, George Rae and Mary Stevens, Mary Rae and Christopher Johnstone, Simon Rae and Agnes Johnstone, and Helen Rae and John Heney. The road, a pale stripe in the landscape, pointed sown the centre of the plateau and then far ahead forked towards the mountain ramparts.
Lists of chairmen, directors, auditors and solicitors. Some early photos of stores, streets and staff up to 1980 and illustrations throughout. She was a member of the South Canterbury Hospital Board for nine years and chaired the finance committee. 1854 in Ayrshire, Scotland 1901 John Scott Rutherford 1902 Francis Robert (Frank) Gillingham 1903 John (Cockie) Bray - came to NZ on the 1904 Charles John Talbot 1905 John Trotter b. Isitt (1874-1945) 1909 Humphery Arthur Innes-Jones b. 1870 Port Chalmers 1917 William Alexander Robertson 1918 William Arthur Dorman (1858 -1934) 1919 Ernest Macdonald b. 1952 1920 William Tasman Smith (Tas Smith) (1876 -1939) etc. 1991] (Timaru : Timaru Herald Print) Description Book 44 p. recall just some aspects of life in this small piece of South Canterbury"--P. "March 1991." Map inside front cover.; 1971, The Caxton Press, Christchurch. Sod houses, preparing the land, farming, irrigation, threshing School and Church history Sly-grogging and hunting and fishing Richard Pearse and his flights Later settlers from 1900 and later, with snippets of information re family and sales Colourful characters of the district Businesses and services Old photos and of drawings show: Wai-a-te-ruati pa; Maori rock drawings; portraits; old homes and other buildings; farm work with people, horses and old farm machinery including steam traction engines and a gorse cutter; flax harvesting; School pupils and sport club members (some named); trout and eels from Opihi. This book covers the farming district of Adair and Timaru, the landed gentry and the stations of the Mackenzie country, and also the characters who have passed through her life and some area Maori history. Photography remained a part of Adamson's life, as he continued to take studio photographs to supplement his income. After the departure, Mr Les Carlyle (the officer on duty) went to the south end of the station yard to open the mainline points, setting the track to enable a steam crane and attendant wagons to travel out to the rail bridge over the Temuka River, where work was being carried out replacing sleepers and beams. Writing at greater length than Acland, and having only forty runs to discuss as against Acland's 132 - this observation is not intended in any way to belittle Acland's invaluable work - Mr Pinney has been able to go into a greater wealth of detail. Wellington: Reed, [1980 Revised edition 275 pages] The third edition contains additional information, corrections and two new illustrations. It is the story of the pioneers who settled this often grim and unrelenting high country, scorching in summer, freezing in winter, to establish sheep stations and service them. On the recommendation of Mary's father, William Irvine, who came to New Zealand with most of Mary's siblings in 1854. The air was clear beyond belief, unbreathed, one would have said, newly pored out from the blue chalice of the sky.As well as the first volume of South Canterbury Tales, two more of his books will appear soon: a history of Caroline Bay to coincide with this year�s carnival, A Century of Carnivals, and another about St Mary�s Church, Love and Faithfulness, which will be launched next month. Caroline Bay Association volunteers gave up their summer holidays year after year. Mc Neish goes beyond the legend of Mackenzie the sheeepstealer. Address to Dr Neilson, Main Road, Pleasant Point should reach her.